Sunday, February 9, 2014

1 year update

Time has gone by so quickly... I cannot believe it has been 13 months since I last dyed my hair.

And I have not regretted it once! If anything, I've become very proud of my gray mane and am now much more aware of how fake dyed hair looks on other people. I have never been more convinced that I made the right decision :)

I'm not going to lie, not everyone around me is being supportive (not to my face of course, although...) and I've heard second hand feedback that a few of my close friends actually do not like it. But you know what? I do! I like it! And aside from those few people, most of my entourage is really encouraging and gives me compliments. This feels good.

One thing is for sure though: I am in the middle of an extremely awkward transition. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't intend to cut my hair short while I grow out my grays. I'd say at that rate my hair is growing, I'm about a third in. I do get semi-regular trims (an inch off every two months or so), so  in about a year I might consider chopping off the ends (the grays should be below the shoulders by then). 

We'll see how that goes!

I'll be back in 6 months for an 18 months update and I'll leave you with update pictures of the past few months :)

Don't hesitate to ask me questions and leave me comments! 
Steph


 

2 comments:

  1. fantastic! i love that you are 30 something taking this journey! i never had any idea that there is a whole movement against coloring and letting the silver shine.
    i'm pleased to say i have crossed the street and one of the silver sisters!
    i am 12 weeks into my adventure. i was 22 when my silver started and i tell you from that day forward someone has had something to say about it.
    i am 48 and people still run their mouth about it. SMH!
    glad i found your blog!
    you are beautiful! your hair is beautiful! shine on dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracie! Welcome to the silver club! :) Thank you so much for stopping by!! :)

      I'm not so much "anti" coloring, I just grew tired of the maintenance, and did not want to deal with being the obviously dyed dark-haired grandma when I'm much older! :) I've always wanted to be a silver haired long hair in a loose bun grandma! I just figured I might as well start now.
      Congrats on starting your adventure! I've met a few non-supportive people ("oh but you're so young, you'll look so much older"... blah blah!), but overall the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

      To be honest, the only thing that matters if that you feel good about it! You go girl!! :)

      Delete