Wednesday, October 2, 2013

9 months update

Hi everyone!

It's been 9 months since I started my voyage into silver hairdom, and things could not go better (or look more awkward). I'm patiently growing my skunk-stripy long hair and now have about 3 inches of virgin salt and pepper roots and about 13 inches of oxidized dry straw :)

It sounds more horrible than it really is. I find that the awkwardness of my transition is really at its worse on day 2 hair. I found a good way to circumvent this by wearing my hair down and sleek on day 1, and on day 2 I just wear it in a high pony tail, braided pony tail, or tousled beach waves/curls (my hair is naturally wavy, so that is usually a very low maintenance style for me).

Not much else to update you on... I really steer clear of most heating tools (aside from the flattening iron every once in a while, and always set at the lowest temperature), air dry (or cold blow dry) my hair and do not use any chemical products. I only ever use organic coconut oil as an overnight hydrating mask and Ducray Nutricerat intense-nutrition daily emulsion. This product is a godsend for ultra-dry and damaged ends!

Here are a few pictures of the recent weeks
----------
week 33:

week 35:
week 36:
----------

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am inspired by your blog, as I am early 40's and been going gray since my 20's and been dying that long too. But starting Jan 2014, I'm trying to do what you did last year. Do you have any recent photos of yourself?

    My challenge is that I'm not gray, and not peppered with dark colors, so I have a skunk stripe. I'm looking for tips....semi- permanent dye for the roots?

    I've also started a pinterest page and thinking about starting a FB group page. Do you know other who might want to join?
    http://www.pinterest.com/dharland/going-grayditch-the-hair-color/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darci!
    Thank you so much for your comment :) I'm so happy if I can help you go through this journey!!
    I do have recent pictures actually. I've been procrastinating posting the 1 year update. Sorry about that! I will get right on it so you can see what it looks like after almost 13 months.
    I'm not sure what you mean by not gray or peppered with dark colors... Do you mean you are completely white? In that case, have you considered perhaps lightening your whole head and grow the gray from an overall light color?
    I did use semi-permanent color for a couple of years before I ditched the coloring altogether. It worked for me, because I used a color very close to my natural brunette color, and the roots (eventhough very present) weren't as harsh looking. Does that make sense?
    Let me know if I misunderstood you :)
    I think a FB page is a great idea! I'd love to join it! I see on your pinterest that you know Lauren (How Bourgeois). I'm sure she'd be interested in that FB page as well!
    Best,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete